St Mary’s Church

. St. Mary’s was the parish church until it was abandoned due to flooding in the 1840s and replaced by St. David’s. The low western tower is possibly 13th century although with later windows. There is a timber bell-stage. The ruinous nave originally had a south aisle. There are two doors through the south wall and a piscina. Inside is a mausoleum for the Price family of Newtown Hall and outside, the grave of Robert Owen (1771-1858) the social reformer who was born in Newtown and died at the Bear Hotel. The monument is by Alfred Toft of 1902 with a portrait of Owen and labourers. It has railings in fine Art Nouveau ironwork.

St Mary’s, Newtown

custom_image

 

Situated on the banks of the Severn, the old church dedicated to the Virgin Mary was built of stone from the river bed and consisted of a double aisle surmounted by a wooden belfry at the North West angle, typical of Montgomeryshire churches.  It has been dated as 13th century.

During the next century a carved wooden rood screen was erected between chancel and nave, the work of craftsmen known as the “Newtown School of carvers”. Other examples of their work exist at Llanwnog and Llananno.  When the church was finally abandoned in 1856 the screen was removed to the Rectory and stored there until it was eventually used to construct the Lady Chapel in the new parish church and dedicated by the Bishop of the Diocese in July 1938. The old font was also taken to the new building.custom_image

In the body of the church stands a mausoleum erected over the tomb of the Pryce family in 1900.

The church was subject to constant flooding from the nearby river which weakened the fabric and led to its decay and eventual abandonment; although mission services were held in the Tower during the summer months for about 10 years prior to the turn of the century.

2011 photo
custom_imagephoto pre 2000,
Alongside the South wall stands the Tomb of Robert Owen (1771-1858), the social reformer and educationist, a native of the town.  In 1902 the co-operative movement erected the railings and bronze plaques around the Tomb as a memorial to him. The churchyard gates were given by his son, Mr. Dale Owen.By the 1930′s the building had become very dilapidated, the roof had collapsed and the burial ground overgrown, but around 1938 the incumbent and a number of other public spirited townsfolk set up a committee to restore the Tower and lay out  the grounds as a public garden using public subscriptions to finance the work.  On July 27th, 1978 the area was formally handed over to the Town Council on a 99 year lease who undertook to carry out regular maintenance to provide this quiet oasis in the town centre.
custom_imageTo the South East lies an area occupied till the late 1930′s by a row of small black and white cottages and adjacent to them stood a large tannery. This was demolished in 1983 and the site used to develop a housing complex to be named St. Mary’s Close. Architects : Mid Wales Development Corporation. Builders : Evans & Owen, Caersws.In the body of the church stands a mausoleum erected over the tomb of the Pryce family in 1900.

.one of 3 windows to the tower.

headstones placed inside what would have been the church itself thye only stones readable are the ones made from slate.

Newtown Robins fire work extravaganza.

stop the game the refs got summut in his ear,

carmartheninjury.jpg

Steve Berry  trying to get the attention of the ref   as he needed to get to hospital  to get his shoulder seen too.

The Robin

Latham park grounds is home to Newtown robins football team.

newtown football field

St Davids Church from the water reservoir situated above latham park.

Crceoss building from the water reservoir situated above latham park. .

ST Mary's Church tower from the water reservoir situated above latham park. .

The fun fair is in town

dodgems this has not changed one bit since the days I went on the annual school trip to the Marine lake in Rhyl back in the 1950s

this is a new way to make a few bucks bunjee trampoline. kids seem to love this one.

looks like a relic from the mines

woo scary bits,

there was a minature steam train in the park but it seems they had a problem with it and took back to the workshop for repairs

this is a fine example of a minature steam engine

its either a small train or those are big autumn leaves

the rail track in the park the building in the background is the council offices

she was busy within a few yards of the guys with the minature steam train

fancy doing a bit of real gardening

not quite the truth the pharmacy is not by here

the problem with todays yobs they have no morals or respect of anything

In the body of the church stands a mausoleum erected over the tomb of the Pryce family in 1900.

read on St Mary’s church   here

Maybe they were after the old garden roller but just can not see the point of setting fire to the place.

the old oak door's hinges are damaged as is the lock that was forced open.