Barclays Quarterly Profit Soars To £2.4bn

Where is my hometown of Newtown Powys,http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newtown,_Powys#Buildings_and_monuments

Newtown longbridge over the Severn .

last time this bridge was maintained 1999, now the weeds and trees are growing in the stone workjoints

8.7.11 such a miserable day heavy showers are the order of the day today is the opening of the new store in what was the woolworths building since they closed woolworths there has been a carpet shop that did not last long, now we have a much needed clothes shop making it clothes shop no7 , 8 if one counts the new tesco outlet in Newtown.

8.7.11 Store twenty one have opened in Newtown,just what the town needs "another clothes shop"

Wm Jones and sons, the family butcher who has been in the town since 1876, always a good display of locally produced meat. now the the supermarkets are killing off these shops 15 years ago they opened safeways (NOW MORRISONS) on Welshpool Rd within 2 years we saw many food shops close in the town itself some like the cheese shop on market street opened up in the new store as did a fruit and veg shop, then the store relized it was not viable to have local business sell in the store. today we have six super markets in the town, all competing for trade, I can see in a few years there will be no more nice family shops in Newtown all will have been swallowed up by the food giants, and god knows where our produce will be brought in from.

The Buck one of the oldest public houses in the town.


The cross building and Sarah Brisco’s Town Clock,  better known as barclays bank

Barclays bank own the cross building one of the focal points of Newtown if they leave the plants to grow in the facade it will fall down, not like they cannot afford to get builders in to clean and repoint the brick and stonework on this beautiful building, and today 31st of October 2011 We have news thatBarclays Quarterly Profit Soars To £2.4bn

 

feral pigeons get to drop droppings on the stonework the acid in the droppings corode the stonework.

almost enough grass to mow.

the odd seagull that lives in Newtown uses the bank to deposit on the weather vane.

Cross building from the water reservoir behind my home on Llanidloes rd.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newtown,_Powys

St Davids from the reservoir

St David’s Church, Newtown

By 1840 Newtown had become the centre of the  Mid-Wales woollen industry which brought a rapid growth in population.

The rector at that time, Rev. G. Foxton, must have felt a pressing need for a new building, necessitated by a shortage of seating and fre­quent flooding of an old badly sited church.

The site for the new church on what was to become the New Road, was given by Mr. David Pugh of Llanerchyddol, Welshpool, M.P. for Montgomery Boroughs for many years and a prominent landowner.  The foundation stone was laid by the Countess of Powys on 27th October, 1843.  The architect was Thomas Penson (1790-1859) who was County Surveyor of Montgomeryshire from

By 1840 Newtown had become the centre of the  Mid-Wales woollen industry which brought a rapid growth in population.

The rector at that time, Rev. G. Foxton, must have felt a pressing need for a new building, necessitated by a shortage of seating and fre­quent flooding of an old badly sited church.

The site for the new church on what was to become the New Road, was given by Mr. David Pugh of Llanerchyddol, Welshpool, M.P. for Montgomery Boroughs for many years and a prominent landowner.  The foundation stone was laid by the Countess of Powys on 27th October, 1843.  The architect was Thomas Penson (1790-1859) who was County Surveyor of Montgomeryshire from 1818 and of Denbighshire from 1819 in succession to his father also Thomas Penson (1760- 1824).  Penson chose the buff Ruabon bricks to build the church which were manufactured at the Trefynant works of J. C. Edwards.  The style is Victorian Gothic.

The building, which cost about £4,600, consisted of a nave and aisles, a small apse at the East end, and a Western Tower, with entrance on the North side. Gal­leries ran around the three sides, the Western one occupied by the organ.

Four years later, on 13th September, 1847, the Bishop, Dr. T. V. Short, con­secrated the new church – but somewhat unusually without a dedication.  This strange omission was to be the cause of much confusion and discussion in later years.  Many parishioners referred to the building as St. Mary’s, no doubt taking the name from the old building and as recently as 1924 the new incumbent, the Rev. J. E. Morgan was inducted to “St. Mary’s”.  However, in 1940 the matter was formally raised in a P.C.C. meeting.  Eventually after much diligent work, Mr. F. B. Lloyd a church warden, proved that at the laying of the foundation stone, the words used were : “I lay this stone as the foundation of a church to be consecrated to Almighty God, the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost in the name of St. David.”

As a result, the Bishop, Dr. W. T. Havard, issued a decree in 1943 stating “that the church was to be known henceforth as the Church of St. David”.

By the early 1870’s the building was being described as “most inconvenient” and structural faults had appeared and as a result a faculty was granted in 1873 for major alterations.  This entailed the removal of the galleries and the construction of a chancel with organ chamber and vestry, the removal of the reredos, which had been erected using the screen from the old church, and the replacement of the old box-pews by oak pews free to all.  A new font and pulpit were also added.

The cost of this renovation was £3,000.  The architect was Mr. David Walker of Liverpool, and the builder, E. Williams of Newtown.

The service of re-dedication took place in August 1874 conducted by the Bishop of Hereford.

Further alterations were made in 1909 when parts of the rood-screen were used to line the sanctuary, then in 1938 came the erection of the Lady Chapel, again parts of the old screen were used, and the re-decoration of the interior.  The architect for this latter operation was H. L. North of Llanfairfechan.

Further major repairs and re-decoration were carried out from 1961-4 at a cost of £10,000.

(extracted from A brief history of the Buildings of the Church in the Parishes of Newtown & Llanlwlchaiarn by H.N. Oliver)

Sadly, because of insurmountable infrastructure problems, the church had to close in June 2006 and the Parish of Newtown merged with the Parish of Llanllwchaiarn.

The church has recently been sold  and is in need of  some restoration work. this like the Cross building and it seems all the older structures are being  taken over by nature IE plants growing out of them.

the rear of the church where the vadals and thieves go unoticed

thieves have taken the copper lightning conductor and the copper earth wire,

cross building St Davids church and the rail station from Brimmon hill

pryce jones building in the background,  is under construction  covered over in building wrap netting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pryce_Pryce-Jones

Pryce Jones’ in Newtown

Born 1834 in Newtown, Pryce Jones took over the drapery business where he was apprenticed in 1856. The business, renamed the Royal Welsh Warehouse, prospered on the trade generated by sending out price lists to prospective customers. In 1890 an illustrated catalogue replaced the price lists, and this was the beginning of catalogue shopping. The firm was taken over by department store firm Lewis’s of Liverpool in 1938, but the warehouse he built in Newtown is still home to several retail businesses.

3 roof trusses is all thats left of the milk bottling plant Lower Canal Road Newtown Powys

no its not cross building its the same species of plant the "ELDER" Sambucus nigra, (caprifoliacae) once its roots get a hold in the masonry joints just like the ivy it eats the mortar and eventually the structure weakens and collapses or as in this case the water got in the joints and the ice in last winters severe weather caused the collapse in the stone work of the bridge.

Newtown Aberbechan bridge could be closed for many months

the collapsed part of the bridge nearest the main A483 road

A NORTH Powys bridge – will be closed to all traffic for safety reasons for a number of months after it was damaged following the recent severe cold weather.

Aberbechan Bridge on the B4389 near Newtown closed on Sunday, January 2 after the council received reports that cracks started to appear.  An assessment of the Grade II listed structure showed that the bridge is in a dangerous condition.

The closure is already causing severe traffic problems in Newtown.

Local traffic diversions have been put into place and barriers have been placed both  ends  to stop all vehicles and pedestrians from crossing the bridge.

A spokesperson for Powys County Council said: “The council decided to take emergency action to close the bridge because the recent severe cold weather had made the structure dangerous to travel over.

“By closing the bridge we hope to prevent further damage occurring to the bridge.

“A full assessment of the structure’s condition will be carried out by the council.  This will then determine how the council will repair the damage to the bridge.

“It is too early to say when the bridge will re-open and how much it will cost to repair the damage.  However, as it is a listed structure over a river, we will need to consult the Environment Agency and Cadw on any works that are required.

“At this stage, the bridge will be closed for a number of months.”

lot of damage to the stone work of the bridge besides the already colopsed end, there does not seem to be any damage to the brickwork of the arches.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: